Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

Funfetti Cupcakes





Hi there, this is my first official blog post! 
I spent the evening making these lovely cupcakes, I saw them at Cupcake Jemma's shop Crumbs and Doilies in Soho back in June when I spent the day in London for my birthday. I had such a lovely chat with her as well, she's super lovely and her cakes are absolutely DIVINE!! I mean they may actually be straight from heaven. Anyway if you haven't seen her videos on YouTube, you definitely should, her recipes are so easy and honestly they produce, just beautiful, beautiful cakes. Without further ado here goes.
Also as a side note, taking pictures, following a recipe and baking is so blooming hard! Props to all the bloggers who have been on the grind for so long, you make it look flawless and effortless.


 So the recipe for the sponge calls for,
  • 125g of self raising flour 
  • 125g of soft unsalted butter
  • 125g of caster sugar 
  • ¼ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
  •  2 large free range eggs 
  • 20g of sprinkles
  • 1 ½  tbsp of milk 
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract or essence
Firstly I gathered up my ingredients, like a very fancy blogging type,

I weighed out all the ingredients with military precision on my lovely pink digital scales which are flipping amazing by the way they have tonnes of different measurements from grams to fluid oz. If you want to pick them up they can be found here and they are on offer!  I then combined all of the ingredients together apart from the vanilla and the milk.

I then went on to add the vanilla extract, this is the one I used, mainly because it was the one we had in the house and I was not going to go out and by a brand new one, I am not about that life!
So I mixed it further until it had plenty of air in it. This will help create a light and delicate sponge just like Jemma's cakes in her bakery!

I then added the sprinkles into the cake mix, this is where they kind of let me down. The colours simply were not bright enough and in the finished product the did not show up in the sponge as well as I would have hoped. So if you are going to bake these cakes I would recommend getting brighter coloured sprinkles. I digress, I then popped the mixture into little multicoloured reusable cupcake cases that were in a cupcake tray.

I baked these bad boys for about 21-ish minutes but I would recommend 22 minutes.  Only because our oven at home gets awfully hot and we had just finished making our dinner it so by the time it was time to bake them, it was hotter than the sun!

Moving on to the icing/frosting (depending on what side of the pond your are on).

So the recipe calls for:
  • 150g of unsalted soft butter
  • 335g of icing sugar (make sure you sift this!) 
  • 1 ½  of milk 
  • ¼ of vanilla extract.
Basically what you going to need to do is mix your butter first until its super light and fluffy, this just makes the icing light and air-y.
Then you put your icing sugar in, but you're actually meant to do it in to lots, but I just bunged it in to be honest and just made sure I mixed it LOADS!
After your icing sugar and your butter are well combined and pale , you just add the milk and the vanilla and mix it on a low-ish speed.
It should look something like this, 


By the time you've done all of this shabang, your cupcakes should be about ready to come out the oven, just be sure to check that they are cooked the whole way through. You can check this using a cocktail stick or a little skewer.
 
I let the cakes cool for about 20-30 minutes,  otherwise my icing would have just turn into sweet melted butter and no-one wants that, do they?

 I iced them with a pallet knife, but realistically you could probably do it with a regular dinner knife if I'm being completely honest here. Then I got a flat plate and put the remaining sprinkles on it and after I had iced all the cupcakes I rolled them in the sprinkles. They turned out looking a little like this.


Here's a close up for you.

Finally I made myself a cup of tea in my all time favourite mug and sat down because blogging and prepping for a blog post is blimming hard work. I am exhausted! Just kidding I did need a bit of a break though. 

I really hope you enjoy making these cakes they are really fun to make when you don't have to take seventeen different pictures to create a hipster Instagram vibe. But they would be great for parties, or afternoon tea or just for eating because who doesn't need cake every now  and again.

I hope you've liked reading my first ever blog post and have a lovely day.
Peace out lovelies 
xxx







No comments:

Post a Comment